Flutter At The Fountain2024 Call For Artists
An original art design on a crafted aluminum butterfly.
Your butterfly will be on display to the public in Fountain Hills at various sponsor locations prior to the Flutter at the Fountain 2024 event.
Proceeds from the butterflies will benefit various nonprofits in Fountain Hills and surrounding communities.
Flutter at the Fountain is a community service led by the Fountain Hills Community Foundation, a 501 c-3 nonprofit organization, the purpose of which is to invest in other nonprofit organizations whose work improves the lives of our youth, seniors, families and community, while building a legacy for Fountain Hills and the surrounding communities.
Flutter at the Fountain will select up to 50 artists willing to contribute to making dreams real by transforming blank, aluminum alloy sculptures into original works of art. Each transformed butterfly will become part of an online auction at the Flutter at the Fountain 2024 Gala, April 12-14, 2024.
- Application and Design Concept due: Friday, September 1, 2023
- Notification of juror selections: Tuesday, September 5, 2023
- Artist Pickup Event – pick up butterfly and meet and greet fellow artists: Saturday, September 16, 2023
- W-9’s due at pick up.
- Pickup Location: RE/MAX Sun Properties, 16824 E. Avenue of the Fountains, Fountain Hills.
- Material stipend checks issued to artists by Saturday, September 23, 2023
- Two required check-in’s from artists with photographs of progress: October 15th and November 20th.
- Completed butterfly due: December 30, 2023 (No Exceptions) Drop off information will be forthcoming.
Artist Compensation and Understandings
Artists will be provided:
- Stipend for materials: $50 for small, $100 for medium, $150 for large
- Any costs incurred over these amounts should be considered a donation to Flutter at the Fountain.
- 10% of the auction sale price for their art piece.
STIPENDS WILL NOT BE GIVEN UNTIL THE ARTIST FILLS OUT A W-9 IN ADVANCE.
Artists will be recognized:
- At our public Community Reveal event at the beginning of March, 2024 in Fountain Hills.
- On all printed and online social media marketing materials.
- On the FountainHillsGives.com website and the Givesmart online auction platform.
- At the Flutter at the Fountain Events, April 12-14, 2024, including the Major Sponsors and Donors Luncheon, Family Day and Flutter Gala.
- Artists are encouraged to promote Flutter at the Fountain on social media and within artist groups to which they belong. We also encourage you to submit videos of your butterfly transformation and inspiration for our website and marketing. This application allows us to share your posts through our social media.
The audience for Flutter at the Fountain will be the general public, all ages and backgrounds. Designs that are religious, political, sexual in nature, bear controversial messages, insignia, or other material will not be accepted. Simple glued and bedazzled designs will not be accepted. Designs incorporating business logos or advertising will not be accepted. The Artist Review Panel may reject any design that does not conform to these guidelines.
The Art Piece Components
Butterfly components will be provided by the Fountain Hills Community Foundation.
There are three sizes of ⅛ inch thick aluminum butterflies. Approximate sizes are Large 36” (12 lbs), Medium 24” (8 lbs) and Small 12” (4 lbs). The large butterflies will come with a temporary stand for ease of painting. Final “polyurethane clear coat” will be provided by the Fountain Hills Community Foundation.
Artists will produce their designs in their homes or studios. They can paint, sculpt, transform, or adorn the art piece to complete their design, but the structural integrity of the piece must remain intact. The art pieces will become the property of Flutter at the Fountain until the final auction, when they will become the property of the highest bidder.
Concept Design Template and Art Object Sizes
Please complete a concept design template (included with the application form) for each entry. Templates may not be enlarged greater than 8” x 11.” Make sure to create a thorough color design on both the inside and outside wings since this will be the basis for the Artist Review Panel. “Inside” wings face the sky and “outside” wings face the ground. Once selected, the artist is bound to the design concept submitted. Any material deviations are subject to return to the artist for modifications.
- Flutter at the Fountain is a community celebration of art where individuals are invited to touch and experience the pieces on public display. So, please keep durability and public safety in mind when designing.
- Objects and various mediums may be attached to the art piece but those objects must adhere to the guidelines noted above. Any attached objects must be attached in such a way that they cannot be easily removed.
- Designs using photos or skins will not be accepted.
- The artist is responsible for any transportation that may apply.
- All art pieces may require touch-up and cleaning prior to the auction. As notified by Flutter at the Fountain, artists will be expected to be available to complete these touch-ups during the days preceding the auction.
- Artists may submit up to three designs, but each should be on a separate application form. All submitted designs will become the property of Flutter at the Fountain.
- Artist agrees to allow FHCF to use the art piece in all print and online media and marketing.
- The Fountain Hills Community Foundation Artist Review Panel will designate the butterfly size each chosen artist will receive.
Important: Please download the Butterfly Design template using the button below. You will be able to print out the design template. You can then design it, scan or photograph it, and save it to your phone or computer for upload at the bottom of the application form below. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.